Prevent Water Damage
Summer is almost here and with it come vacations, graduations, weddings, reunions, and house guests. Appliances may run more often with less oversight. A few tips for prevention can help avert water damage.
- Don’t leave the washing machine running if no one will be home. If you’ll be away on vacation you may want to shut the water supply lines off.
- Check the washing machine water supply hoses quarterly to be sure they are in good condition.
- If water loss occurs shut the water supply lines off.
- Inspect refrigerator water lines quarterly. The line is small and a leak may go unnoticed for a period of time, resulting in extensive water damage and subsequent mold growth.
- Examine water heaters for signs of rust, corrosion and possible leaks. Look at the bottom of the unit as well as lines valves and connections. If the unit has indications of wear call a licensed plumber for professional advice.
Periodic review of your appliances may save you the expense and inconvenience of water damage to your property.