Spring Maintenance Checklist
March 21, 2016
Commercial and residential buildings will benefit from early maintenance before summer weather arrives.
- Clean gutters and downspouts to be sure water flows freely away from building foundations.
- Reseal exterior woodwork- fences, pergolas, sheds, and trellises should be inspected and included in the process.
- Check for pest infestation and associated damage- small animals, e.g. mice and squirrels, as well as insects ants, termites, and wasps can present problems and cause damage.
- Roof inspection/repair and exterior painting will help to preserve building envelope integrity.
- Chimney inspection, as well as window and skylight inspection will help prevent leaks and water damage.
- Attics and basements shouldn’t be overlooked, particular attention should be paid to sump pumps and roof ventilation. Mold growth will flourish with elevated moisture.
- Sprinkler and irrigation systems should be inspected for necessary repairs/replacement.
- Dehumidifiers and AC systems will benefit from service and filter changes.
- Window and door screens should be inspected for replacement and repairs.
- Retaining walls, walks, and driveways may have been damaged through the winter months.
- Landscaping, particularly trees and shrubs, may require attention after harsh winter conditions.